We are currently looking for a forward-thinking and enthusiastic Media and Communications Associate to join our growing team at Michelson Alexander in a full-time capacity.
If you or someone you know is interested and meets the criteria in the position description below – we would love to hear from you!
Michelson Alexander is a leading strategic communications and social impact firm. We provide specialist communications advice to corporate, government and not-for-profit clients to help achieve their strategic objectives and make the future a better place. We operate at the nexus of policy, politics and public affairs and thrive in high–pressure environments.
About the Role
We are looking for a Media and Communications Associate to join our growing team at Michelson Alexander. Working in an agency-style office in Melbourne, the role is responsible for the delivery of diverse strategic communications, media relations, stakeholder engagement, government relations, advocacy, and campaign advice and activities for key clients. A critical aspect of the role is providing our clients with integrated solutions by researching and writing key collateral, such as feature articles, proposal letters, funding application grants, strategic plans, policy submissions and digital communications for clients across a broad range of industries.
The role will see you:
- Assisting with communications activities such as the preparation of media releases, speeches, opinion pieces and social media posts.
- Working with senior staff to provide hands on support for a range of strategic communications, stakeholder engagement and national campaigning tasks. This includes but is not limited to liaising with clients, preparing briefs and agendas, organising and minuting meetings, engaging with a complex array of stakeholders, designing policy solutions, and designing and implementing digital media strategies.
- Providing technical copywriting for reports, presentations, and strategic plans.
- Preparing engaging content for interactive communication channels, including various social media platforms.
- Conducting research, checking facts and building cases for change.
We are looking for a high performing strategic communication specialist who can demonstrate knowledge of the communications landscape across business, politics, media, and community settings in Australia.
The successful candidate will bring the following knowledge, skills and experience:
- Excellent writing capabilities, with the ability to articulate complex ideas clearly, accurately, and succinctly.
- Campaign and advocacy experience with an understanding of how to influence public opinion.
- Experience in the private sector and an understanding of regulatory environments.
- Experience designing and delivering successful strategic plans underpinned by clear goals, smart strategy, and the right tactics.
- Strong interpersonal, written, oral and listening skills.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Highly developed analytical skills with the ability to absorb complex information and translate clearly and concisely.
- Excellent organisational skills to work to and meet multiple concurrent deadlines.
- Enjoyment of collaborating with a diverse array of people, ranging from board directors and CEOs to people touched by disadvantage.
- An innovative, perceptive, and creative approach to work.
- A passion for working with “for-purpose” clients.
- A desire to learn and build a career in a social impact setting.
- A positive and highly professional approach with a can-do attitude.
- A great team player!
In addition to the above, you will be tertiary or TAFE qualified in a relevant field and have a keen interest in policy and current affairs.
This role would suite someone with a public affairs or media background, experience working in strategic communications, government, with a peak body and/or journalism.
The Associate will be based at our Melbourne CBD office however we believe in flexible hours and working from home when needed.
If this sounds like you then we’d love to hear from you!
Please submit a short CV and two examples of your written work to email@example.com
An immediate start is preferred where possible.